October 04, 2009

The DIY Fleece Pull-over Experiment

The goal is to use one of my favorite hobbies to make a fleece jacket out of the softest fleece material I can find and to make it better and more cheaply than a store-bought jacket. The general breakdown of the experiment is (1) estimate costs, (2) detailing the work involved, (3) evaluating end results.

Step 1: Estimating Costs

Since materials were purchased over a year ago, it’s very difficult for me to accurately detail the costs involved with this project. The pattern was purchased at Wal-Mart before the local Wal-Mart seriously downsized its crafts and fabric department for about $5 (I got it on sale, generally patterns run fairly expensive in the $10-15 range). The fabric was purchased from Jo-Anne’s at about $7 a yard, also on sale for the excellent plush fleece. The estimated cost of the fleece is therefore about $20, once you include thread and the zipper. The estimated cost of a nice fleece pullover ranges from about $10 at the super discount clothing stores, but to select the exact feel and color of the fleece would probably drive you to a specialty shop, where you’d be looking at anywhere from $30-100. We’ll have to wait until the evaluation of the homemade fleece before doing this comparison.

Step 2: Work Invovled
All I can say is, WOW. The basic process for sewing from a pattern is pretty easy: Check your size against the sizing charts on the back of the pattern envelope. Choose a size that fits you. Open the pattern paper and cut out the pieces you will be using, leaving a wide berth around the actual pieces, you’ll do the accurate cut once the pieces are pinned to the fabric. Use the guide in the pattern instructions to place pattern pieces on your fabric, pin them down, then cut out the fabric. Test out your sewing machine with a scrap of the fabric you’ve chosen. Adjust settings until you’ve got a decent stitch you are happy with. Follow instructions. Show off your handiwork. If only it were that easy.

First off, the fleece fabric I chose is incredibly difficult to work with. Its thick, which makes my machine groan when I stitch over 4 or more layers, and I broke a needle stitching the collar. The material does not stick to itself at all, but sticks to everything else, so it’s difficult to align pieces with any reliability. On top of that, the fleece is stretchy, so the bottom layer sticks to the machine and stretches while the top layer glides over and I keep ending up with a gathering effect on the bottom layer. The fleece loses little bits of itself off the edges when cutting or working with it, and the living room had to be vacuumed three (count them, three!) times before I finally gave up getting all the baby blue tufts out of the carpet. Finally, I either chose the wrong size, or, more likely, my stupidity in not reading seam allowances (READ THESE) gave me a pull-over big enough to fit my dad. He’s over 6-feet tall.


Step 3: Evaluate End Product
Overall, I had several enjoyable evenings working on this project. I learned a lot about sewing and working with difficult fabrics. For that, I might say it was a $20 well spent. In terms of the end result, I have to say it was $20 almost wasted. DH won’t wear the fleece, because it’s a little large on him, and it’s such a soft baby blue he says it looks girly. However, I wear it when I’m reading or writing in the garden at night when the temperature gets chilly in the winter, and it is unbelievably warm. So, in the end, I am satisfied with this project. I wouldn’t recommend it to others, however.

Overview of Tips Based on This Experiment

  1. Check your sizing thoroughly before cutting a pattern.
  2. Read instructions and follow them when using a pattern, unless you know enough about the pattern and what you’re making to make intelligent changes. Don’t just make random changes without fully thinking through the consequences.
  3. Consider the intricacies of your fabric. If you are a beginner at sewing, choose lighter weight fabrics with little to no stretch. If your fabric is likely to unravel or lose bits at the edges, work in a tiled area and clean as you go.
  4. Keep a sense of humor and remember sewing your own is largely about gaining experience and skills. Sometimes, that’s about all you gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment